I hope everyone had a wonderful time this weekend celebrating the last days of June. The summer months seem to be flying by. I am happy to ...

"TRANSPORTED" LITTLE BOYS ROOM (REVEAL)

I hope everyone had a wonderful time this weekend celebrating the last days of June. The summer months seem to be flying by. I am happy to be completing projects around my house that are keeping me indoors as we have reached 113 already! I am also excited to finally be able to reveal to you my little boy's "Transported" room.

I am not sure if it is an age thing or just a boy thing, but my son is obsessed with all things transportation; trucks, cars, buses, motorcycles, planes, and especially trains! So when we decided it was time to move from the crib to the toddler bed, we decided to "Transport" his room using his favorite means of "Transportation!" So without further ado, I give you A "Transported" Little Boys Room!

 

The transformation was actually pretty simple. I stuck with the main color scheme of his nursery using the blue, light blue and orange, but added some reds, greens and yellows to the mix as well. I knew when I was designing his nursery that we would be changing it sooner or later, so I decided to use a more mature color palette as opposed to a traditional babyish color palette. (This is a good tip to keep in mind when designing your child's nursery. It will save you quite a bit of money in the future!) I was able to incorporate most of the original furniture and just had to update the bedding and accessories to bring it up to speed! (Ha Ha, pun intended!)


Here is the concept board for my "Transported" Little Boys Room!


It's always helpful if you can layout the products and colors you want to use before purchasing any items. This helps to make sure you are creating a unifying space as well as saving money by not purchasing unnecessary items!

Here is a rundown of the some of the items I used in the room!
  1. Metal Motorcycle and Stop Sign from Hobby Lobby
  2. Baby Mobile Baubles You may remember these Baubles I made in an earlier post for his nursery. If not, or if you would like to see the tutorial again, click HERE!
  3. Orange Lamp from Land of Nod
  4. Changing Table from JCPenny
  5. Wool Area Rug from Land of Nod
  6. License plate USA map from Hobby Lobby
  7. Transportation Stickers from Buy Buy Baby
  8. Crib/Toddler bed from Restoration Hardware
I began by removing all the Monkey Themed items in the room (well, except for the gigantic ape, that was a special gift given to him when he was born and he loves to wrestle with it!) We then moved all the furniture around to create a feeling of more space. We were given a Thomas The Train Table and wanted to incorporate it into his space as well.  Once the space plan was set, I began adding the new accessories.


Some of the new accessories include this great Train Planter I found at the Salvation Army for $3.00


I replaced his old "Sweet Baby Boy" coat hanger, with a new Train hanger. You can view the tutorial HERE!


We hung our transportation stickers all around the room! I let my son help me stick them to the closet, of course I ended up taking them off and repositioning them, but he loved the idea of helping to decorate his own room. He is such a good helper!


Here is the Train Table that was handed down to us from some relatives! (Thanks relatives!!) I was worried at first that if we put this in his room that he would never go to sleep, but he has done great. He loves having it where he can keep an eye on all his trains! I also love the license plate USA map. I love using items in children's rooms that are both decorative and educational without being obvious!


All the fun vehicle themed picture frames came from Hobby Lobby!
And of course you can't forget to put pictures of the pets in the their rooms either, after all , they are part of the family too!!


The final piece for his room that I added was his Toddler Blanket. I had the hardest time finding a blanket that was not to "themee." That did not cost a fortune or that would fit a crib/toddler size bed! So I ended up making my own. I am not a professional sewer by any means, but this one turned out all right! He has been sleeping in his bed for a few weeks now and nothing has fallen apart. I say so far so good! If you would like to view the tutorial for the DIY blanket, click 


By using the original color scheme and adding a few additional colors, we were able to transform this room over without having to paint any of the walls! (My husband was very grateful since I usually pass that job off to him!) I didn't have to throw anything away either. All of his old monkey themed decorative items have either come down for him to play with or have been donated.  The larger, more expensive furniture pieces can be used well into his youth years as well! 


Here is a before picture of the room with all of the baby furniture and monkey decorations to help give you a better idea of how the room looked before.

And now here is the after again!


As you can see the color scheme remained largely the same, but the impact of the accessories and personal touches are huge. I also believe that making this transition for my son and getting him involved in the decorating process has helped him to transition into his big boy bed as well!

Now that my son's room is complete and he is happy, it is time to start designing my little girls' nursery! I hope I have been helpful in giving a few tips on what I found to be useful when designing a child's room. Next week I am going to show you how I design a room from scratch and also my first DIY project for the nursery!









 
 THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:


* Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T.Alderberry HillDIY Home Sweet Home  *  An Original Belle * Destination: Craft * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and DreamingThe DIY ShowoffBrassy Apple Twigg Studios * Nutmeg PlaceNatasha in OzSweet Anne Designs * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Kampen LaneFull Circle Creations * Home Stories A to Z  * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine *I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys Korner * Creatively Living *  Adventures of a DIY Mom * Made in A Day The Well Crafted Home * Natural Nester  *Snap * Lil Luna  * Practically Functional * My Girlish WhimsAt The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryFrench Country CottageFunky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux InteriorsAddicted 2 Decorating * Whipperberry * Tatertots and Jello * Thirty Handmade Days * Craft Junkie Too * The Shabby Nest * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Liz MarieBacon Time with the Hungry Hypo
Tip Junkie handmade projects




THIS POST HAS BEEN FEATURED:

DIY Show Off
made in a day















You may also like

16 comments:

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said...

I LOVE this! The color scheme especially. My son is 14 months old and I'm getting a bit sick of the crib bedding. I can't wait to try something different! How do you make the concept boards/collages? I see them all over, but I'm clueless. Anyway, thanks for sharing! I'm pinning this for inspiration :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Fabulous room and I love all the colors used! Thanks for linking up.
XO
Kristin

melissa @ daisymaebelle.com said...

Everything looks great! Love the colors and all of the thrifty finds! I am about to transform a little girl room to a teen room! They grow up too fast!

Jessi W said...

Awesome, that all came together really nicely! Thanks so much for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Mama Jodi said...

This is so classy. I love the color scheme and the mix of the different decorating elements you found. Great work! Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

Holly Lefevre said...

i love seeing a unique and fun boys room. The color palette is fabulous. What a lucky little guy to have this room!

A Lived in Home said...

Very cute! i'm sure the little guy is loving his new themed room!

Jaimee @ Craft, Interrupted said...

You did a really incredible job with this!! I have those same wall decals for my little man's room, but it doesn't look near as fab as this ; )

Hani@Craftionary said...

WOW.. I want that room for my boy.. :) Thanks for linking up at friday fun party.. Have a nice weekend!

Full Circle Creations said...

I love the way your little boys room turned out. So very cute. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

Holly

DIY Show Off said...

Great theme and so many great accents! Love the colors. Beautiful job!

Kammy's Korner said...

Simply amazing! Hudson is so blessed.

The Lovely Mrs. P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Lovely Mrs. P said...

Featuring you tomorrow! Stop by and link up again!
Kim@Madeinaday

The Yellow Cape Cod said...

Wow! This room is fabulous!!! I love everything about it. What a lucky kid! Best, Sarah

Debt Free Mommy said...

It's Party Time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you are invited! Please come link up anything related to making your space better at http://debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com/ and mark your calendars for every Making Space Mondays linky party. Hope to see you there! -Tabitha

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels