Sorry this post is late. There was quite a commotion around here yesterday after we found out what we are having! Looks like I will no lon...

PASSIONATE ABOUT A CABINET {part II}


Sorry this post is late. There was quite a commotion around here yesterday after we found out what we are having! Looks like I will no longer be running away from the color pink! That's right!! We are having a little girl. We are over the moon with excitement! We have a wonderful son and soon we will have a wonderful little girl! I am so happy to be able to share this news with all of you! Thank you for all your kind words and support. 
 
With the announcement of a new baby girl on the way, that means that there will be lots of posts coming up on nursery design! I can't wait, hope you can't either! 
 
Until then, here is the reveal of the once "PINK" cabinet!
 





Quite the transformation, don't you think!
 
Here is how it all started!
 
I really wanted to do a project using chalk paint. I have been conflicted between the DIY chalkpaint and the Annie Sloane chalkpaint. I decided since this was my first time using chalkpaint, I would try to make it on my own. I do plan on doing another piece in the future using Annie Sloane. I am interested in doing a comparison of the two types of paint! I used the recipe of 2/3 Paint, 1/3 Plaster of Paris and 1 tablespoon (give or take) of water. I used an old plastic takeout container and mixed my paint in there. 







It did not take much paint. I used two different paint colors! I only had to use one mixture of each color! The bluer paint is Behr, Catalina Coast and the greener paint is Behr, Mountain Pine. Both are Low Odor and No VOC!
 
Once I decided where I wanted the paint to be applied and where I wanted it to be sanded down, I knew I needed a furniture wax coat finish to seal it. Since I made my own chalkpaint, and it went over rather well, I decided not to take a chance on the finish and ended up using Annie Sloan Soft Wax Finish! I found a local supplier near me called Green Table Gifts! (I will be returning there to purchase Annie Sloan chalkpaint for my next project) I used a regular 2" brush to apply the wax (a very thin coat) and cheese cloth to wipe off the excess and buff it! It worked brilliantly and gave it a wonderful finish! Next time I will use the Annie Sloan wax brush that she recommends, because I did find that my 2" brush left behind little bristles that I had to pick out!







Once all of my wax was was dried, I began to cover up the shutter doors! 
 I bought MDF from Home Depot. I gave them my measurements and they cut them to size for me. I painted them, waxed them and nailed them over the front side of my shutters. ( I did the same for the back of the shutter doors as well but with one large piece) I then cut my aluminum panels with tin snips to size and nailed them in with 5/8" finishing nails. I cut my trim to size using a Miter Box at 45 degree angles. I found this part very hard to get them to match exactly in the corners. I decided to use what I had and filled in the gaps with wood filler!
(NOTE: I put my hardware in the doors before permanently attaching the trim to make sure there was room for the hardware! Once you are sure it will all fit, you can remove the hardware to nail in the trim.)







I then began to add the embellishments to the drawers. I hammered in 200 individual nail heads. I would have done them in strips, but I could not find them in the color I was using.
 





Once all the nail heads were set in place I added the hardware and it was complete! Well almost. I couldn't decide if I liked the hardware I choose. So, I went back and got 3 more options. Each piece of hardware is like the jewelry you add to an outfit. Each one has its own personality and each one makes the piece look completely different. So what do you think? Which hardware do you like best?
 







Here's a closer look!











Here is the Before and After again. I just love the way it turned out, but I am so torn on the hardware. I need your guys help!








 
 
THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:

Craftomaniac * Mad in CraftsSumo's Sweet StuffAsk Anna It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and Dreaming * Creatively Living The DIY ShowoffTwigg Studios * How to Nest for LessCrafty Texas Girls * Sweet Anne Designs * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Home Stories A to Z  * Project Queen * I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of LemonsIvy and ElephantsUncommon DesignsThe Well Crafted Home * Live Laugh Rowe * At The Picket FenceThe Shady Porch  * The Shabby Creek CottageCraftionaryFrench Country Cottage *Funky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux InteriorsAddicted 2 Decorating * Miss Mustard Seed * Decorating Insanity * Made In a DayThe DIY Dreamer * Passionately Artistic 
 
THIS POST HAS BEEN FEATURED:


The Well Crafted Home







 
 
 


You may also like

13 comments:

Anna said...

Oh my goodness, what a transformation! I'm featuring this on my FB page.

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Marilyn Clark said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the after....so beautiful! :D

Mandy said...

Congrats on a baby girl Jen! Your cabinet transformation is beautiful! Love the nail heads - thanks so much for sharing this at Project Queen's Link Party.

Vanessa said...

I love your piece and the colors are lovely. I found your lovely blog on I gotta create link party. Love looking around your lovely blog and I am a new follower. I would love for you to stop by www.homesweetbutterfly.com

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Vanessa

How to Nest for Less said...

Just beautiful!

Hani@Craftionary said...

OMG, this is a complete WOW project.. Jen can I borrow your creative head forever.. :D You rock more than you think! It's on my pinterest, facebook and twitter girl..

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

It's SPECTACULAR!!! Congrats on the news of a baby girl. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina

Katie Goldsworthy said...

So TOTALLY awesome!!! I LOVE that aluminum paneling!!! One heck of an awesome makeover!

--Katie

Cindy said...

Hi, I'm following you via At the Picket Fence Bloghop! Love the transformation!
XO Cindy

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love the covered shutters and the nailhead trim is awesome!

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Christine said...

WOW!!!!!! That is an amazing transformation!! WOW!!!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening!

Me said...

French!

Lesli said...

Hello! Thanks for hopping by during the May Networking Blog Hop! I can't believe that is the same piece of furniture! It looks awesome!

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels