I hope you are all enjoying your Memorial Holiday Weekend. I would like to take a quick second to Thank my friends, family, and any one wh...

MORE THAN A DRAWER!


I hope you are all enjoying your Memorial Holiday Weekend. I would like to take a quick second to Thank my friends, family, and any one who has served our country!
THANK YOU!
 
I have always loved the monogrammed wall plaques that you see in magazines like Ballard Designs and Pottery Barn. Last weekend, my favorite Antique and Home Decor store (Merchant Square) was having a store wide sale. I love to rummage through their garden area that holds mostly scrap! They have some pretty amazing stuff. I was actually looking for a large unique piece of wood that I could convert into a monogrammed family wall plaque. Instead I found this amazing drawer. I thought to myself, as I walked back and forth by it a thousand times, that I could use the face of the drawer to make my wall plaque! So I decided to buy it, and I made it!







Can you believe this started from a drawer? I am pretty in love with the way it turned out. 
This is how the drawer looked when I found it. I immediately fell in love with the center molding. It was something I have not seen on a drawer before. 
Needless to say the drawer was in pretty bad shape. Every time I tried to fix a piece, it would just fall apart. It was quite rotted. Good news with that, is I was easily able to remove the face of the drawer with a rubber mallet. A couple of good whacks on either side is all it took!





Once I had the face of the drawer removed, I removed the hardware and then sprayed it a base color of off white. Over time it had developed an odd pinkish hue. (I know, I know...me and pink furniture!) Once that was dry, I brought it inside and sat it on a soft surface. The back was pretty torn apart from the rotting (and the removal!) The spray paint made it look too new and I wanted it to look more aged. (An aged drawer, sprayed new, made to look old again! Ha Ha) I took a cloth and buffed in some ebony wood stain right over the top of the spray paint. I just rubbed it around until I got the look I wanted.
 




Since I was too excited to wait for the wood finish to dry, I used a piece of paper under my hands when adding the monogram so I would not lift any of the finish off or leave my hand prints. 
I found a great Calligraphic image of the letter "L" online. I printed it to scale and used tracing paper to trace it to my center piece. I altered it a bit to give it my own style. (You should really never copy anything exactly! It's supposed to be all about inspiration right?!?)





I then painted the monogram a dark gold color. Once that was dry, I rubbed white paint over the entire center piece to lighten it a bit. I then used Martha Stewart Textured Paint to some of the more pronounced areas to give it more depth. I also outlined some of the areas in black and added my established date. You will see that later on! All these layers of paint really helped to give the monogram more texture and intensity.





After that was done. I found a font that I liked on Word. I blew it up to the font that would fit my plaque and printed it out. I cut out the words and traced them onto the plaque with tracing paper.






 I painted my words with a black paint and then went back and highlighted some areas with white paint. I made it a point to paint the words over where I was going to be replacing the hardware. Once I put the hardware back on, I then painted the hidden letters over the hardware. By painting underneath them, I was able to give a more finished appearance.
 
Once all my words were dry and I was happy with the way the wall plaque looked. I took Matte Mod Podge and covered the entire facade of the wall plaque. This just helps to ensure that the paint stays put with out giving it any gloss.  

When that dried, I flipped over the plaque and adhered felt to the back using rubber cement. I added nail-heads for a more polished look as well as reinforcing the felt. Not only does this help to finish the piece off, but it will also help to protect my wall!






That was it. I am so excited to get this jewel up on the wall! I have to wait for the hubby for that! He doesn't like me to get on ladders when I am pregnant. So sweet, but it pretty much takes all I have to not get on that ladder! 
 











So what do you think? Anyone can make one of these for your own family, using pretty much what ever scrap material you can find. I would love for you to share if you do!
 
 
 
 THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:


* Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T.Alderberry Hill * Ask AnnaDIY Home Sweet Home  *  An Original Belle * Destination: Craft * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and DreamingThe DIY ShowoffBrassy Apple Twigg Studios * Nutmeg PlaceNatasha in OzSweet Anne DesignsSugarbee Crafts * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Kampen LaneAbsolute MommyHome Stories A to Z  * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * How to Nest for Less * I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys Korner * Creatively Living *  Adventures of a DIY Mom * Made in A Day The Well Crafted Home * Natural Nester  * Blue Cricket Design * Lil Luna  * Practically Functional * My Girlish Whims * House of Hepworth * At The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryFrench Country CottageMiss Mustard Seed *Funky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux InteriorsAddicted 2 Decorating
Tip Junkie handmade projects
 
THIS POST HAS BEEN FEATURED AT:
 
 
 

I was featured on The Fun In Functional @ Practically Functional







 
 






You may also like

21 comments:

Leslie Harris said...

I love your project! I would never have thought about using a drawer like this, and I learned something new about Mod Podge. Never knew it was used that way. I just did a post on "Decorating with Words" and now I might consider making a sign from a drawer too. thanks for the great tips, Leslie (aka Gwen Moss Blog)

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! What inspiration and creative foresight you have. The embellished elements of the drawer add so much character to the overall design. I look forward to viewing your blog every Monday to see what you have designed.

Loving it in Salt Lake City

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I think it's GORGEOUS! As usual ;) I love your style and how you repurpose things, and this one is great. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina

The House at Bluebird Lane said...

Fabulous drawer! I would have snatched this one up, too. Your sign turned out beautifully. :-)

Mandy said...

Your drawer turned out beautiful! Love the details - you did a fabulous job. Thanks so much for sharing at Project Queen.

Maria said...

How beautiful and artistic looking! I love what you did! Just beautiful!

Rachel said...

This is so cool! I love the end result. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesday.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Jessi said...

This is absolutely amazing! What an awesome way to reuse a drawer! I have a brand new link party going on and I'd be thrilled if you'd link this up!

http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/05/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-1/

Lauren @ The Well Crafted Home said...

This is so creative! I love it! Thanks for linking up!

Meg said...

That turned out amazing! I love it! Can you make one for me?? :-)

Thanks for sharing on SOS!!

Hani@Craftionary said...

Wow.. This is so cool! Between very neat hand painting.. :)

Rooms by Ann said...

This is a fabulous idea, I want to try it. It turned out beautiful.

Katie Goldsworthy said...

Awesome job! It turned out to be a beautiful sign!

--Katie
@ Creatively Living

Natasha in Oz said...

Thank you so much for not only sharing this fabulous idea but also for linking your post to my weekly Say G'day Saturday party.

Hope you can join in again this weekend!

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Tammy said...

WOW! This is so lovely!!! You did a fabulous job. That drawer has so much character in itself. I am your newest follower. I hope you can visit me sometime too. I would also love for you to link this up to my weekend Linky party called Rustic Restorations Weekend. I hope to see you there :)
http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.com/2012/05/rustic-restorations-weekend-linky-party_31.html

melissa @ daisymaebelle.com said...

Who ever would have thought that started out as a drawer?! I love to think outside the box - seeing the possibility! It looks beautiful! Nice work!

Designing Domesticity said...

Wow, it's really beautiful. You have excellent vision. Thanks for sharing, liz

Mandy said...

Hi Jen, Love your drawer! Featured it tonight at Project Queen's Highlight Party. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jessi W said...

I featured this on The Fun In Functional today; thank you so much for linking this up! I also pinned it because it's gorgeous and now I want one of my own! Feel free to grab a featured button here. :-)

Holly Lefevre said...

LOVE! The drawer was great to begin with but them you added all of that detail and it looks amazing! What a great heirloom to pass down forever!

Infarrantly Creative said...

I LOVE this upcylced drawer into a sign! It's Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing and I'll be posting it to my facebook:)

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels