What do you get when you mix a Vase , an Ash Tray and a Mini Bell Jar ?  A DIY Cloche!    I am going to show you how to make yo...

FRENCH PRESS


What do you get when you mix a Vase, an Ash Tray and a Mini Bell Jar
A DIY Cloche! 


  I am going to show you how to make your own Cloche using some great thrifty finds and some unique fillers for that Cloche using Mod Podge and news print, in this case, French Press news print!

When I found these three items at my local thrift store I knew right away what I wanted to do with them!


A quick and simple tip I want to share with you is how to remove those darn stubborn price tag stickers from glass! I don't know about you, but those things drive me crazy! Remove as much of the sticker tag as possible. Take a cotton pad and some rubbing alcohol, wet the cotton pad and scrub the the remaining glue off the glass. It takes a little elbow grease, but it comes right off! Allow it to dry for a few seconds and then clean it with glass cleaner and voila!!


After my glass was clean. I took a heavy duty glue that I knew would dry clear. I used Scotch Maximum Strength Adhesive. When they say Maximum Strength, they mean in bonding and in smell. Use in a well ventilated area! I flipped the ash tray over, lined the rim with my adhesive and set the mini bell jar in place. ( Hint: Make sure all your components work together when you find them before attempting to glue them together forever!) I allowed it to dry over night and now I have a lid to my Cloche! Easy as 1, 2, 3! Literally!


Now on to those fabulous French Press Fillers!  
The items you will need are:
  • A Self Healing Cutting Mat
  • A Steel Edge Ruler
  • Scissors
  • X-acto Knife 
  • Paint Brush
  • Mod  Podge
  • News Print (I used French news print compliments of my in-laws in France!)
  • Paper or Plastic Fruit (I found these at Michael's in their $ bins!)

When looking for News Print to use, look for fun articles, bold prints and colors. Anything that relates to you or you find symbolism in! The News Print is easiest to apply in strips. Cut out the article you want (the bigger the article the better) using your Scissors. (either decorative or straight edge) Using your Steel Edge Ruler and X-Acto knife, cut the paper into small strips. You can cut them vertically, horizontally, or on an angle depending on the look you want to achieve. I used all three methods for different pieces of Fruit.


You then simply dip your Paint Brush into the Mod Podge and cover a small area on your surface. This will allow you to place the News Print and reposition if needed. Once the News Print is in place, cover with another layer of Mod Podge. Try to smooth it out as much as possible.  Don't worry if it is not perfect!! Continue on with this process until you have your entire piece of Fruit covered in News Print. 
(HINT: Be careful handling your newly covered News Print Fruit. As you put on your layers of News Print and Mod Podge it becomes very fragile and can tear easily. Try to hold areas that are not primed and covered while you work for best results.) 

Here are the pictures of my final pieces of French Press fillers!


Aren't they just so fun? My favorite it the couple jumping for joy in front of the Arc de Triomphe!
Which one do you fancy?

Once they were all dry, I placed them in my DIY Cloche. I used some fake green balls and some fake lemons for filler in the negative spaces and to add a little color. I just love the way it turned out. All of it cost me a total of $9! Can't beat that!!




THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:





Craftomaniac *  Skip to my Lou * Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T.Alderberry Hill * So Very Creative * Singing Three Little Birds *Ask AnnaDIY Home Sweet Home  *  An Original Belle * Destination: Craft * Toastie Studio * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and Dreaming * Three Mango Seeds  The DIY ShowoffBrassy Apple Twigg Studios * Le Chateau des Fleurs * Nutmeg PlaceNatasha in OzSweet Anne DesignsSugarbee Crafts * My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHome Stories A to Z  * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * How to Nest for Less * I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys Korner * Creatively Living *  Adventures of a DIY Mom * Made in A Day * Blue Cricket Design * Lil Luna  * Free Pretty Things For You My Girlish Whims * House of Hepworth * At The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryCreation CornerFrench Country Cottage *Funky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing * The Shady Porch * 504 Main * Redoux InteriorsAddicted 2 Decorating
Tip Junkie handmade projects


THIS POST HAS BEEN FEATURED:
mop it up mondays











You may also like

25 comments:

The Johnson Familia said...

very clever! great job :)

Natasha in Oz said...

Wow, that looks wonderful! You are so creative! I would never have even thought of doing that.

I just wanted to invite you to join in with my weekly Say G’day Linky Party which started on the weekend. I would be so thrilled if you could join in and link up this wonderful post!

Best wishes for a fabulous week!
Natasha in Oz

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

I can't decide which I like more...the cloche or the fruit!! Awesome job on both. Thanks for the adhesive tip...do you think it's better than E-6000 or about the same?

Taylor-Ann said...

This is to stinking cute. What a great job. I would love it if you showed it off at my new linky party @ Kampenlane.com.

I can't wait to see what else you create.

~Taylor

Heather Perkins said...

Oh wow so creative and so cute! Such a fun idea! Thanks for linking up to Party Time at So Very Creative!

SayNotSweetAnne said...

Wow- what a neat way to put those glass pieces together- you have such vision! I love the typography fruit as well... Must be the Graphic Designer part of me. ;D Great job! I would love it if you would link up to my debut Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday/

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This is fabulous! Thanks for such a great idea -- love the way you covered the fruit with the papers -- pinning both of these ideas.

Amy Fountain said...

That's a lovely display. Love the apple. Its so vintage!

Suzy said...

This is so clever, Jen, and it turned out great!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

Very cute idea! Love how the fruit turned out!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea....super creative!!
thanks for sharing
susan

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a great idea! I love those pears they are fantastic. Megan

Cameron Meerdink said...

I LOVE this! I am looking for a (cheap!) way to make some terrariums, and this is exactly perfect! Thank you ;)

Katie Goldsworthy said...

That is so awesome! Way to put some thrift finds together!

Great tip about the rubbing alcohol too!

--Katie

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Jen, my favorite is the Arc de Triomphe, too! What an inventive way to make a cloche! I'm featuring you today on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625?sk=wall

Thanks so much for linking up to the Mother Lode party over at I Gotta Create!

<3 Christina

D @ The Shady Porch said...

Great idea! Amazing what you used to make it! Stopping by via I Gotta Create. I host a party that is going on now that I'd love for you to share this at!

How to Nest for Less said...

LOVE THIS!!!

Meg said...

Well, look at you go! Smartypants! I love the 'cloche' and the print fruit. Fab!

Thanks for sharing this over on Show Off Saturday!

XO

DIY Show Off said...

What a great idea on the cloche! And the fruit is awesome! Love it all! ;)

Rachel said...

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Hani@Craftionary said...

I love it.. The colors and the paper, everything. Great combination.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

Stephanie said...

This is the best idea ever. I am so making this jar. Thanks for showing.

Isabelle Thornton said...

LOVE THIS!!!!!
Thank you for linking up to the French party! Come back Monday!
XO
Isabelle

Kristi said...

Jen- This is so smart!! I love the height you added to it by combining all of these pieces. And the covered pieces are so FUN...will be needing to get myself a fun newspaper to craft with now! :)
I'm featuring you at tomorrow's Mop It Up Monday {coming out later tonight}! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

{HUGS},
kristi

Kathy Shea Mormino said...


Hello! I’m stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop
this week!

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-7-country-craft.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels