You know when you go to your favorite Consignment shop and you have a list in your head of the items you are on the look out for and you en...

IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

You know when you go to your favorite Consignment shop and you have a list in your head of the items you are on the look out for and you end up finding none of them? That is the kind of trip I had at this Consignment store. However, while I was shopping I saw this old trunk in the corner of a room. I must have walked past it a dozen or so times. Every time I walked by, I liked it more and more, but this was not an item I was looking for, so I continued on my journey. Finally after wrapping up the shopping trip empty handed, I decided to give this old trunk one more look. It had a bunch of stuff on it. 


I decided to take all of that stuff off and give it a good hard look, and man am I glad I did. She was a beauty, well a beauty to me, and you know how the saying goes, 
"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder!"



 As you can see it is in some dire need of help! It has some really great features though. It is missing the front lock, but still has it original leather straps and handles!



It is a canvas covered trunk, but it has a tear on the front side.


It is also in pretty bad and stinky shape on the inside. I have left it in my garage with the lid open since I purchased it a couple of months ago (which was only $55 I might add!) The owner of the Consignment store said it is about 75-100 years old. It smells like it!


So now I turn to you. What should I do with her? I am not concerned with restoring it because I don't plan on selling it and I am not too worried about the value (unless one of you think I hit the jackpot or something.) Should I repair the canvas? Rip it off and put a new material on it? Paint the metal? What do you think? I would love any suggestions, guidance, or creative juices you have on this one!!




You may also like

14 comments:

Carrie@comfortablycarriedaway said...

I think if it is possible I would try to scrub up the canvas part a bit with a stiff brush and some soapy water.Then transfer some vintage images, maybe from the Graphics Fairy to the canvas.

frugal-interior-design said...

Saw your link-up at C.R.A.F.T. and had to check it out. I think it is PERFECT the way it is. LOL. Seriously. I would not touch a thing. I love its "weathered n worn" patina.

I have a similar one I use as a coffetable in the family room. It provides such a cool, rustic vibe and you have the added plus of storage (once the odor is gone). I store hard goods like decor and such rather than fabrics in mine.

Well, I must say it's a great find at $55.00. This reminds me that it has been ages (years) since I've visited our local consignment shop.

Oh, BTW, love the name of your blog. :-)

John

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

What a great find! I'd clean it up then colorwash it a faded denim blue or maybe light turquoise, then add a smoky glaze and wipe it off to bring out the great details. But then, I love blue.

Chatty Chics said...

Very cool! Can't wait to see what you do with it! Please come link it up at my place on Wednesday and show off to my group!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

Deidre~ said...

What a wonderful find!! I might have some ideas for you on a smaller trunk that I recently did you could maybe just take a look see? Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I think I would try to repair the canvas and then paint it with milk paint or chalk paint so you could distress it. So basically fix it up and make it look old again lol! I'm glad I found you through Home Stories.

My Beautiful World said...

Love the trunk just the way it is. So lovely to catch up with you again my friend. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Always Wendy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful treasure chest. To try and rid it of the smell here are a few suggestions. Place an open box of Baking Soda in the trunk and close the lid, change out when necessary. Another idea is to use a lemon and course salt. Cut the lemon in half and sprinkle the salt over the cut edge. Use the lemon as a scrubber. Wipe the chest down with a damp cloth to remove the excess salt. Let dry thoroughly before closing the lid. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant. Use 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Wipe down the wood. Do not overly wet. Repeat after wood has dried.
Enjoy your wonderful treasure.
Larie

Hani@Craftionary said...

I have never practically refinished furniture.. But if I was to do something with this trunk, I would scrap and clean it first and paint it some bright happy color to match the decor.. And work a little on the extra details so that they are noticed.. :)

The Lovely Mrs. P said...

Love the blog! Thanks for joining my Blog Hop Social last week! Come by tomorrow and join up again!
Your newest follower!
Kim@madeinaday
http://madeinaday.com

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

Thanks for linking up! Have you registered for my giveaway?

Ramsign Giveaway: Porcelain Enamel Sign {up to $99 value}

XO, Aimee

Courtney and Heather said...

Your trunk is BEAUTIFUL! I didn't even know where to start with mine, that's why it sat in the shed for about 4 months.

There are lots of tutorials on restoration, but they seem like lots of work.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Heather

Chatty Chics said...

Great find! Love it! I'm such a consignment/thrift store junkie!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

CREATIVE MIND said...

waoo..so cool :) I like it

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels