One of the things I truly love about consignment shopping is that my mind goes into overdrive dreaming up ideas of what I can do with these ...

THEY LOVED IT NOT....I LOVED IT MORE!

One of the things I truly love about consignment shopping is that my mind goes into overdrive dreaming up ideas of what I can do with these found objects. Sometimes I go to these stores with a specific item in mind. Most often, when I am looking for something specific, I generally don't find it, but on occasion I get lucky. This particular trip, I was looking for a side table, but I always keep my eyes open to see what else might jump out at me. And here they are; a side table, a pillow and some type of landscape scene.


Now these items will stay in their original form, its their colors I want to change. This past week I tackled the pillow and next week stay tuned for what I am going to do with the landscape piece. In the near future I will recreate the side table. I hope you can find these tips useful to help transform items purchased or existing in your home!



As for the pillow....here we go!



 Have you ever come across an accessory that you love some of the color and pattern, but it doesn't necessarily go with your color scheme? Well look no further than fabric paint. I found this pillow on one of my shopping trips and the color scheme was in brown and blue and I was looking for a black and blue pillow. I saw this pillow and the blue is spot on, but the brown wasn't going to work. I walked past this pillow numerous times wondering how I could make it work. And then it occurred to me, I could try fabric paint. I had never tried fabric paint on a pillow before but thought it was worth a shot! The pillow itself was only $4.50 and the markers were on sale for $2.80. I bought two of them. Total cost for this project was $10.10. This pillow is from a well known company and originally retails for $25.00! Score!


There are all types of fabric paint out there. Since I was trying to dye a more intricate pattern and material, I opted for a fabric paint marker. There are two types of marker tips. I choose the flat head style as I thought it would give me more control over the details. Since I choose a marker it allowed me to dye the top of the fabric (or really in this case, thread) without hitting the white under-surface material, therefore giving it a more professional finish. I just went around and basically colored the brown portions black. It took me about 1 1/2 markers to finish one side. The smell is quite strong from the maker so be warned. The paint is wet to the touch. I allowed it to dry for 24 hours and now it is the perfect BLACK and BLUE pillow! 


BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE!

I decided to only dye one side of the pillow, that way if my client changes their mind about their black and blue color scheme they still have a pillow for a brown and blue color scheme without having to spend a dime!

THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO: 



You may also like

3 comments:

SMD said...

What a great idea! I never would have thought of painting with fabric paint. You would never know on the finished pillow either.

Shelly

cheapcraftymama said...

Very creative, it turned out great!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Wow -- soo cool! Love the pillow (and side table - gorgeous)

Great job!!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels