The month of November is a time to give thanks! If you forgot to give thanks all year, Thanksgiving serves as a reminder for all of us! So I...

LET'S "CHALK" ABOUT IT!

The month of November is a time to give thanks! If you forgot to give thanks all year, Thanksgiving serves as a reminder for all of us! So I would like to thank all of you for reading and supporting my blog and I would also like to thank my brother in-law for all of his help in making my logo and brand come to life! I just love it and I hope you do to! I kind of did things backwards. I probably should have branded myself and created my logo first. But one day I decided I wanted blog my ideas about design and I just went for it. Sometimes putting the cart before the horse is the best way to get going! So to all of my family, friends, and now my lovely blog followers and readers...to you, I say.....THANK YOU!


Now,  Let's Chalk About It!




Lately I have noticed a big trend on turning ordinary objects into chalkboards. I love this idea, so I wanted to see just how easy or hard it was to do. Remember the landscape picture I bought a few weeks ago at a consignment shop? Well it is not a landscape picture anymore! While in the process of shopping for discount fall items, I found these three great metal plaques and decided to chalkboard them as well. Now it seems like everything I look at I am obsessed about turning it into a chalkboard! But for today, I will show you how I transformed these items!

Here is your shopping list:
  • Surface(s) that you would like to transform. It is ok if they have texture on them. This stuff works on pretty much anything!
  • Chalk board paint. 
  • A small sponge roller with tray
  • Paint color of your choice
  • A Stencil to add a little design!
  • A Stencil paint brush
  • A small paint brush
  • Painters tape
  • Clear Sealer
  • And last but not least, chalk!

Follow the instruction on the back of the chalk paint. Its always a good idea to use a drop cloth under your project. Pour some paint in the tray, use your sponge roller to spread an even coat of chalk paint on your desired surface. Apply 2-3 coats for the best coverage, allowing to dry for at least an hour in-between coats.


Here I have applied 3 coats for maximum coverage!


Next, decide on a pattern that you would like to apply to your surface. Once you have decided, begin to tape down the stencil using painters tape. I used painters tape so that it was easy to remove with out risk of damaging the chalkboard paint.


You could leave your new chalkboard as is, but we want to customize the piece more. To create this effect we can use a stencil. Begin stenciling in a circular motion by placing the bristles of your brush on an uncut area of the stencil. Move your brush gradually into an opening of the stencil. Repeat until desired effect has been stenciled. 


Depending on what type of stencil you are using, you can clean it with soap and water. Begin again on a new spot until your desired pattern or design is complete.


Feel free to embellish on your stencil as well. Use your creativity to customize your piece as you would like. Once you are done. Take your small paint brush and dip it is a small amount of water. Use a paper towel to remove the excess and clean up any paint on the chalkboard that went outside the desired stenciled area!


 At this point in the project, you are going to want to let your painted stencil pattern dry overnight. Once you are sure it is dry, take your small paintbrush and carefully go over the stencil design with a clear sealer. If you go outside the lines of the stenciled pattern, the clear sealer will show up on the chalk paint. If this occurs, you can always use the small paintbrush and do touch-ups with the chalkboard paint. I like to put a sealer on the pattern to help preserve it. It will still probably wear over time with erasing of the surface, but this will help it to last longer. Allow the sealer to dry overnight before curing the surface. (I will describe curing soon!)

During this project, as I mentioned above, I found these wonderful hanging metal plaques. I love that they can be hung. I immediately saw them and wanted to turn them into a chalk board. (I told you I was obsessed :) ) I used the same steps above to transform these into chalkboards as well. 


 The only thing I did differently is I didn't use a stencil. I used a black magic marker and created an outline within the plaque to give me a border and allowed some of the color to show through creating a frame around the chalkboard area! I applied 3 coats of chalk board paint and allowed them to dry for an hour or so in between coats.


 Once all of your chalkboards are complete and dry you should cure them before using. To do this, all you do is add a little bit of chalk to the area. I took a piece of chalk and smashed it with a spoon in  a cup, then sprinkled a little onto my surfaces and rubbed it in. If you put too much on there, just take a soft cloth and wipe off the excess. I even spread the chalk over the stenciled area and then used a damp towel and went back over the stencil area to wipe the chalk off.



And there you have it! Your own customized chalkboards. There uses are limitless. As always, If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them below or email me!  
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!





THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:
















You may also like

9 comments:

Scot Lossing said...

this is an absolutely fantastic project! (love the logo too hee hee)

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

This is so cool. I love your addition of the stencil. So amazing what some chalkboard paint can do. I found you through a comment on Momma Hen. You might want to pop over ans see my DIY transfer decal tutorial.

Larie said...

What an amazing idea to create such a stunning table layout for minimal costs. I really like your DYI. I take your basic idea and am able to add my own touch on it.

Renewed Upon a Dream said...

These look amazing! You did such a great job with them, so pretty :)

~Randee said...

OHHHH M GEEEEE!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!! I am obssessed with chalkboards, also!!!
I am your newest CHAOTIC follower!! Thanks for visiting the CHAOS!!

Crafting Rebellion said...

These are fabulous.
www.craftingrebellion.com

AntiqueChase said...

That's an awesome project!!

The Other Me Is Sane said...

I'm blog-hopping and found your chalkboards pictures and fell in love. I too see surfaces needing black chalkboard paint every where! Glad to know I'm not the only one. Seriously love those plaques. Am becomming a follower to see all your future work.

The Other Me Is Sane said...

I'm blog-hopping and found your chalkboards pictures and fell in love. I too see surfaces needing black chalkboard paint every where! Glad to know I'm not the only one. Seriously love those plaques. Am becomming a follower to see all your future work.

{FRIENDS OF ARTISTIC ABODE DESIGNS (Formerly The Consigner Designer)

{I'M IN CAHOOTS WITH.......}

Arizona Moms Network
Photobucket

{WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!}

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics

{I HAVE BEEN FEATURED!!}

Labels